Mary El-Beheri Memorial Scholarship
Mary El-Beheri (1938-2012) was a founder and the Executive Director of the Texas State German Contest for 30 years and had a deep passion and commitment to students learning and loving the German language and culture. The TSGC Steering Committee has established a fund to be used for scholarships in her memory. The intent of this scholarship is to recognize a student who also shares a passion for and love of learning the German language and culture. A scholarship in the amount of at least $500.00 will be awarded each year at the Texas State German Contest Awards Ceremony.
- Applicant must be a senior who has competed and placed 1st – 5th place at the Texas State German Contest for at least 3 years, including the senior year.
- Applicant must indicate an intention to continue studying German at the post-secondary level. If applicant is not immediately attending a post-secondary institution, he/she must still indicate how further study of German works into future plans.
- Schools may submit up to three applications if there are eligible seniors. Any applications must be submitted through the German teacher.
- Sweepstakes points based on the current sweepstakes points system will be awarded to any events, individual or group, placed 1st – 5th at the Texas State German Contest for each year.
- The senior with the highest number of sweepstakes points in his/her best three years of State competition will be the recipient.
- In the event of a tie, the applicant’s resume, applicant statement, and the teacher’s recommendation will be considered and evaluated by a panel of TSGC founding members.
- Recipient will be announced at the Texas State German Contest Awards Ceremony, at which time the recipient will receive a letter of instruction about how to claim the scholarship.
- Scholarships will be paid directly to the post-secondary institution. Arrangements will be made if the student will not immediately be attending a post-secondary institution.
Click here for 2017 Mary El-Beheri Scholarship Application.
Deadline for application is Friday, February 9, 2018 at 11:59 PM. Application should be typed and e-mailed, along with any attachments, to the Texas State German Contest Director, Jennifer Christianson at email@example.com.
Jan. 12, 2018
Sprachfest online registration due by 11:59 p.m. in order to qualify for early-bird price of $10 per student. Online registrations submitted after this point incur the regular registration fee of $12 per student.
Jan. 19, 2018: Jan. 22, 2018: Feb. 3, 2018: Feb. 9, 2018 Feb. 16, 2018:
Sprachfest online registration due by 11:59 p.m. (regular deadline).
Postmark deadline for Sprachfest payment, regardless of whether you completed your online registration by the early-bird or the regular deadline.
State online registration due by 11:59 p.m. in order to qualify for early-bird price of $10 per student. Online registrations submitted after this point incur the regular registration fee of $12 per student. Also, deadline to apply for the Mary El-Beheri Memorial Scholarship.
State online registration due by 11:59 p.m. (regular deadline). Also, postmark deadline for State payment, regardless of whether you completed your online registration by the early-bird or the regular deadline.
Jan. 22, 2018: Feb. 3, 2018: Feb. 9, 2018 Feb. 16, 2018:
Feb. 3, 2018: Feb. 9, 2018 Feb. 16, 2018:
Feb. 23, 2018
Texas State German Contest, Texas State University, San Marcos
Mar. 9, 2018
Gail Cope Scholarship applications due
April 30, 2018
Teacher Grant applications due
February 2, 2019
February 23, 2019
Texas State German Contest 2019
Sprachfest/TSGC Mailing Address
Texas State German Contests, Inc.
PO Box 2043
Boerne, TX 78006
Dr. Christopher Wickham
One UTSA Circle
San Antonio, TX 78249